AVISTA, STA PARTNER AGAIN TO OFFER FREE RIDES TO COOLING CENTERS
Avista Utilities and Spokane Transit (STA) are partnering again to offer free door-to-door transportation to cooling centers for those living in the regional transit service area. The likelihood of triple digit temperatures this weekend prompted the agencies to renew last month’s heat response plan to provide relief to those most in need. The free rides will be offered on Friday and Saturday, July 30 and 31.
Those needing the free service can call (509) 328-1552 with at least two hours of advance notice to schedule trips to and from a cooling center. Per the federal mandate enforced by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), face masks are still required on all transit vehicles. Trips will be provided on STA Paratransit vans.
- Area cooling centers can be found here.
- Trip origins and destinations must be within the Public Transportation Benefit Area.
- Trips to cooling centers will be on STA Paratransit vans.
- Rides to Cooling Centers can be scheduled on the day of service with at least two hours before the requested pickup time.
- Van operators will have a 30-minute arrival window for scheduled rides.
- Customers should reserve a ride for all members of their household to ensure sufficient seating on the van
- Customers traveling with children must provide and are responsible for securing appropriate car seats as required.
- Customers should confirm in advance if pets are welcome at respective cooling centers before scheduling a ride. If the cooling center accommodates pets, customers may travel with pets as long as the pet is under the control of their handler at all times.
- Paratransit Reservationists may provide additional information and instructions to customers.