31-Day & 7-Day Rolling Pass Options
STA’s 31-day and 7-day passes: How do they work?
Magnetic Stripe or Smart Card
Magnetic Stripe: STA now has 7-day rolling passes in addition to our 31-day rolling passes. The validation period for all rolling passes begins with the first use of the pass in the farebox on the bus. The magnetic rolling passes:
- activate when “dipped” into the pass dispenser on the STA farebox (this starts the rolling period)
- encode at activation with the “end date” printed on the back of the pass
- can be used after activation by swiping through the farebox during all subsequent rides
Smart Card: The Adult, Youth and Reduced Fare 31-day rolling passes, as well as the 7-day passes, can also be loaded on Smart Cards. Newly purchased Smart Cards loaded with rolling passes are:
- valid for 31-days or 7-days from the date of purchase (depending on pass)
- used by touching it to the farebox “target”
- read by the driver to determine remaining days
- able to be loaded with as many consecutive 31-day or 7-day periods as you’d like to purchase
- replaceable if lost if you have registered your card at Customer Service and you have the receipts for all transactions for the card
- loaded at Customer Service or any pass vending machine
There is no set up fee for a Smart Card, you only need to pay for the fare that you add to the card. There is no charge to re-load the card, just a $5 for replacement if you lose it. Click here to read more about Smart Cards.
The Paratransit, City Ticket and Student passes will remain in the current calendar month format.