Deputy Director for Community Development
The Deputy Director of Community Development directs and oversees STA’s real estate acquisition, community development, high performance transit corridor planning and Transit Oriented Development (TOD) functions. The Deputy Director is directly responsible for managing assigned third-party development projects ensuring that they are optimized operationally and financially. The role requires leading cross-agency teams, liaising with local land use agencies and managing complex relationships with private sector developers. The role directly supports STA’s leadership in formulating and executing long-term strategic plans, including real estate acquisitions for transit infrastructure and facilities, transit-oriented development (TOD) and High Performance Transit (HPT) corridor planning. The role plays a prominent role in the region’s community and economic development efforts.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Knowledge of demonstrated experience in real estate development practices, including all phases of real estate development.
- Experience with complex land use development agreements
- Expert knowledge of the following:
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, as amended
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) – 23 and 49 CFR
- Revised Code of Washington (RCW), Title 8 and 47
- Washington Administrative Codes (WAC) 468
- Knowledge of principles and practices used in the preparation of designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates.
- Knowledge of budget development and administration, especially in public and corporate environments with high accountability and transparency.
- Annual salary of $90,444 – $121,204
- Robust medical plans with affordable monthly premiums
- Dental plan with affordable monthly premiums
- WA State Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS) defined benefit plan
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) employer contribution of $50/month
- Basic life and long-term disability insurance
- Competitive vacation & sick leave
- 7 paid holidays plus 4 floating holidays per year
- Free bus passes for employee and dependents
- Onsite workout facility
- Cell phone carrier discount
- Gym membership discount
Examples of Duties
- Lead a motivated team of staff in advancing STA’s corridor, system and strategic planning projects, ensuring team members have adequate support and resources to successfully manage and deliver on identified objectives.
- Manage STA’s real estate acquisition and land entitlement activities, managing contracted right-of-way agent(s) as assigned.
- Develop and manage STA’s TOD program including real estate site selection, real estate development planning and development.
- Manage real estate development consultants, evaluate and prepare development proposals, and provide oversight of project budgets related to consultant efforts.
- Represent STA as the responsible official (i.e. SEPA Official) in environmental determinations under state and national environmental policy laws and regulations.
- Act as the primary point of contact for third-party developers wishing to build on, or lease, STA property and/or to connect to STA infrastructure.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, urban planning, accounting or other relevant field, and seven years of progressively more responsible experience as a development planner, real estate broker or developer, or related career. A relevant Masters degree or graduate level course work may be substituted for up to two years of required work experience. At least two years of experience in providing direct supervision of staff and overseeing budgets for projects, departments or organizations.
Interested in Applying?
Qualified individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter and resume as an attachment to your online application. If you have questions regarding this position or need assistance, please contact Andrew Tackett, HR Specialist, via email [email protected] The application review for this position begins 11/25/2022.
Spokane Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity/race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or veteran status.