Preventative Maintenance Vehicle Technician
Are you looking for a career in vehicle maintenance with a stable company where pay is consistent and not based on unpredictable piece-rate work? Then starting a career in fleet maintenance with us the path for you. We have career ladder progression, great medical benefits, and a retirement plan that is hard for dealerships and repair shops to beat!
Your career with us will start out as a Preventative Maintenance Vehicle Technician performing preventative maintenance and minor mechanical repairs to obtain maximum utilization of the fleet, assure the safety of transit patrons, and to minimize the potential for equipment-related failures and accidents. Scheduled inspections will cover all interior/exterior systems and structures of vehicle, including lights, engine, structure, brakes, doors, fluids, ventilation and communication systems. You will record defects make minor repairs, and assist Journeyman and General Repair Vehicle Technicians with more complex repairs as needed. Based upon your acquired knowledge and drive to succeed, you can go from being a Preventative Maintenance Technician to a General Repair Mechanic, Journeyman Mechanic, Lead Mechanic, or Foreperson. With your attention to detail and willingness to learn and grow, you will have a direct impact on our ability to provide safe and reliable transportation to the citizens of Spokane County.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- A Team player
- Starting wage of $20.41/hour (Wage range $20.41 – $28.20/hour)
- Shift differential + incentive pay for ASE certifications
- Boot allowance accrual
- Tool allowance accrual
- Tuition reimbursement
- Robust medical plans with affordable monthly premiums
- Dental plan with affordable monthly premiums
- Washington State Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS) defined benefit plan
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) employer contribution of $25/month
- Basic life and long-term disability insurance
- Competitive vacation & sick leave
- Free bus passes for employees and dependents
- Onsite workout facility
- Cell phone carrier discount
- Gym membership discount
Examples of Duties
- Inspect vehicles according to STA standards following preventative maintenance requirements
- Perform needed minor repairs and road test all vehicle systems scheduled
- Document and report necessary additional repairs
- Assist Journeyman and General Repair Vehicle Technicians
- Service and clean vehicles as required.
- Respond to road calls and exchange buses for operators when required
Education and Experience
- Valid driver’s license from Washington or Idaho with a clean record
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (We do the training & testing!)
- One year of experience repairing and maintaining vehicles, or one year of education in automotive or heavy diesel equipment repair, or any combination of education and experience
- The ability to pass a Preventative Maintenance Vehicle Technician examination
- Your own set of basic automotive tools or ability to obtain them by date of hire
- Basic computer and math skills
- Ability to maintain a clean and safe work environment
Interested in Applying?
Qualified individuals are strongly encouraged to apply using the link below. If you have questions regarding this position please contact David Cooper, Human Resources Specialist, at email@example.com. This position is open until filled.
Spokane Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity/race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or veteran status.