Mobility Mentor Program
A fun way to learn how the bus system can work for your unique travel needs.
Spokane Transit’s Mobility Mentor Program helps seniors and people with disabilities learn to confidently ride the bus.
Two types of mentoring services are available: One-On-One and Travel Club. You can also be a Mobility Mentor, leading group bus trips or providing individual training to help people gain the skills needed to independently ride the bus. Watch the video below to see just how much fun joining a Travel Club can be.
This service provides individual support for people who are not familiar with the bus system and are apprehensive about learning to ride the bus on their own.
Learn the basics:
- Which fare pass is right for me and how do I get one?
- How do I pay my fare once I board the bus?
- How do I make sense of these bus schedules?
- What is a system map and how will it help me?
- Can I get help planning my bus trips?
You’ll also learn safety tips and so much more. Your personal mentor will accompany you to doctor appointments, on shopping trips, running errands, and attending community events - anywhere and everywhere you want to go, until you have the skills and confidence you need to take bus trips on your own.
Local groups of seniors plan bus trips with the help of a Mobility Mentor who accompanies them on their outings.
As a travel club member, you’ll receive all the training needed to become a savvy bus rider.
Go explore! Participate in an array of fun and interesting bus trips to exciting destinations. Your club can go anywhere STA goes: movies, the malls, restaurants, libraries, parks, or community events.
Travel Club outings focus on social interaction, community involvement and mastering independent ridership.
Mobility Mentor Program Benefits:
- Increased independence - go where you want, when you want.
- Enjoy the many exciting events and activities our vibrant community has to offer.
- Meet new people and make great friends.
Join a Program
For more information or to join a program contact the Mobility Center:
701 West Riverside Avenue
Spokane, WA 99201
Become a Mobility Mentor
If you are interested in becoming a Mobility Mentor:
- Complete the Mobility Mentor Application (To request an application, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (509) 232-6303)
- Complete a successful background check
- Attend a classroom training session
- Actively mentor a minimum of four hours per month (required to maintain your Mentor status and receive a free monthly bus pass)