What is Rideshare?
Rideshare, formerly known as Vanpool, is just like carpooling, but with a vehicle maintained by STA. A minimum of three people who live and work near each other can commute together in an STA Rideshare vehicle to save money.
New Rider Incentives
5 FREE RIDES - Try Rideshare today
TRY RIDESHARE offers up to 5 free vanpool rides for new, qualifying trial users. We invite you to try Ridesharing and find out why so many decide it’s a great way to go.
RECRUITERS - Earn a $25 incentive to get friends & coworkers on a Rideshare
- New rider must complete recruiter information on the Rideshare Participant Agreement.
- Recruiters may choose either a $25 gift card or $25 off their next month’s fare.
New to Rideshare?
What is Rideshare? It’s Your Commute. Only Better.
Rideshare, formerly known as Vanpool, is just like carpooling with two or more people. Using a Spokane Transit vehicle, a group of people who live and work in approximately the same area are able to commute together to save money. STA vehicles are assigned to commuter groups and driven by volunteers who share the commute. The volunteer drivers are trained by Spokane Transit on defensive driving and safety. All services and costs are wrapped up into one low monthly fare.
Did you know Spokane Transit’s Rideshare caters to longer distance commutes; 20, 40 mile, even 100 plus miles daily? Rideshare serves Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho, as long as the vehicle starts or ends in Spokane Transit boundaries.
Now you’ve made your commute on a Rideshare and you need to run an errand. No worries; upon request, Spokane Transit provides each Rideshare participant a bus pass.
Benefits of Rideshare:
- You travel direct to and from work.
- You sit in a comfortable seat and forget about other drivers and traffic.
- You are free to read, work, text, even sleep.
- You may obtain a smart card bus pass for use on any bus route.
- Registration for a smart card is available here.
- Your employer may pay all or part of the cost.
- There is no long-term commitment.
Welcome to Rideshare!
We are excited to hear you are interested in riding with Rideshare. A Rideshare is a group of 2 or more people that commute to work together in our vehicle. It’s a great way to relax and save big!
Joining is Simple:
Find a Rideshare Group to Join
The best way to find a group is to use CommuteFinderNW.com to enter your commute information and search for Rideshares. If we have existing groups that match your commute, you will see a list with their route, schedule, and contact information.
If a Rideshare match is not currently available for your commute, you can start your own Rideshare! You’ll need just one other person total to start, and you can try using the carpool search to generate leads and gauge interest.
Contact the Driver
Contact the group through CommuteFinderNW.com to confirm they have space on their vehicle and are able to accommodate an extra passenger. Inform them of where you work and if you’ll require an extra stop to be made.
The driver will let you know where the vehicle meets and what time you’ll need to arrive by to meet the vehicle.
Submit a Rider Agreement to STA
If you have questions or need assistance in this process, please call us at (509) 326-7665 or by email at [email protected].
The monthly fare is determined based on where your Rideshare starts and ends:
- $60 a month if your commute is within Spokane County
- $80 a month if your commute includes Kootenai or Stevens County
- $100 a month if your commute is in any other county
Fares cover all costs, including fuel, maintenance, 24-hour roadside assistance, insurance, and snow tires. Ask your human resources department or Employee Transportation Coordinator if your employer provides a fare subsidy for public transit!
Rideshare fares are due on the first of the month and can be paid online at commutefindernw.com or by check mailed to STA at 1230 W. Boone Ave, ATTN: Rideshare. Upon request, active Rideshare participants are entitled to a complimentary smart card bus pass for use on any STA bus, anytime!
Forming or joining a Rideshare can be accomplished in three easy steps:
- Find at least three and up to 14 other people who share a similar commute.
- Choose individuals of the Rideshare to fill these roles:
- A primary driver
- At least one back-up.
- A bookkeeper to submit monthly ridership and payment reports.
- Any rider, including drivers, can be the group bookkeeper or the group contact.
- Decide on a proposed route, pick-up points and schedule.
Complete a Rideshare Request Form
We hear you want to drive a Rideshare, how Sharetastic!
Rideshare drivers are volunteers from the Rideshare group. We wouldn’t be able to operate without you! Each group requires a minimum of two drivers, one primary, and at least one backup. Ideally, multiple drivers can share the duty so the group can have a great, stress-free commute.
Becoming a driver is fairly simple. You will submit a driver’s application, a copy of your driver’s license, and your driving record. We will then review your application, if your record is clean and you meet our driver guidelines, we will assign you an online defensive driving course that takes about an hour and a half to complete. Finally, you’ll agree to our policies and procedures, then be approved to drive off in your cool Rideshare vehicle!
To get started, follow these steps:
1. Complete and submit the following forms:
2. Request a copy of your driving record:
- For Washington residents, you’ll need to request a copy through the Department of Licensing. For instructions, please download this PDF.
- If you have an Idaho license, we can obtain your driving record for you, please contact STA and move to the next step.
3. Scan or snap a photo of your driver’s license
4. Once you’ve completed these steps, send the documents to [email protected] and let us know you’d like to be a driver. We will work through the rest of the process with you by email.
1212 W. Sharp Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201
MAILING ADDRESS: (for payments or form submitting)
1230 W Boone Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201-9901
Payment of the monthly fare reserves your seat whether you ride or not. Riders do not receive a refund for missed days. If a rider is planning a vacation, the rider can sublet the seat to a temporary rider from the Rideshare waiting list.
Each Rideshare group should have at least two approved back-up drivers who can take over in the event that the primary driver is unavailable.
The route and schedule for each Rideshare are decided by the group. Some vehicles go door-to-door, but most Rideshares establish one or two convenient pick-up points.
Monthly fares are $60, $80, or $100 per person depending on where the Rideshare starts and end its commute. Rideshare fares are paid in advance on a monthly basis and are due to Spokane Transit on the first of the month. Rideshare fares are paid on-line or by check to the vehicle group bookkeeper for submission to STA.