Download a Smart Card Information Sheet.
Smart cards are not legal identification and should only be used for Spokane Transit purposes.
Smart Cards are a convenient, high-tech way for you to ride public transportation. The cards are chip-embedded and can be used as a 31-day (formerly monthly) pass or a stored value card. Cards are read when touched to the target on the farebox or ticket vending machine. They can be reloaded with additional value and reused indefinitely.
What’s so “smart” about Smart Cards?
- Can be used as a 31-day (formerly monthly) pass or a stored value card.
- More durable than traditional monthly passes, won’t bend easily
- Indefinitely re-useable and re-loadable
- Faster transaction at the farebox.
- If you lose your card, you can get a replacement without losing your balance if you register it at the time of purchase through Customer Service
- Stored Value Smart Cards work like a gift card. The cards deduct the fare amount per ride, so you never have to remember exact change
Smart Card Questions and Answers
Where can I get one?
At The Plaza.
Is there a set up fee?
No. You only need to pay for the fare you add to the card (monthly pass or stored value). There is no charge to re-load the card, but there is a $5 charge for replacement if you lose it.
What if I lose my card?
You will be required to pay the $5 replacement fee, but will not lose the remaining balance on your card. Make sure to register your card with Customer Service at the time of purchase to utilize this feature.
Do I still need to request a Two-Hour Pass from the driver if I need to transfer?
Yes, but only when used as a Stored Value Smart Card. 31-day (formerly monthly) Pass holders do not need to request a Two-Hour Pass.
I buy my Student Pass through my school at a discount. Can I use a Smart Card?
At this time students receiving a discounted Student Pass (less than $37) must use the traditional paper passes purchased at the school.
I ride paratransit vans and fixed route buses. Will my Smart Card work for both?
Yes. You can read more about using Smart Cards on Paratransit vehicles by downloading a brochure here.