Issues With Your Pass

Having issues with your pass or Connect card?

We’ve compiled a list of the most frequent issues riders have with passes and Connect cards to help you find a solution as quickly as possible!

If you need immediate assistance during business hours, please call (509) 328-RIDE (7433).

If you would like to contact STA by email, click here.

Common Issues

My pass or Connect card has been damaged.

Folding a paper bus pass, or damaging the magnetic stripe on the back of the pass, can cause the pass to no longer work. Visit Customer Service for assistance. If the activation date on the card is still legible, the remaining value on the pass may be replaced.

Bending a Connect card can break the technology within the card causing it to no longer work. Visit Customer Service for assistance. If no physical damage is visible, a new Connect card may be issued free of charge, depending on the damage to the technology of the card. Reissue of a Connect card with damage is $5.

Suggestions to keep your Connect card damage-free: Don’t punch holes, cut, scratch or bend the card. Avoid placing the card in a wallet that will be sat on, avoid placing magnets near your card, and don’t attempt to use your card as a screwdriver or pry tool.


My Connect card is declined at the farebox, even though I know there is money on it.

As a safety measure, Connect cards go dormant after an extended period of non-use. Visit Customer Service at STA Plaza to reactivate your Connect card.

My paper bus pass has been “bad listed”.

Please visit Customer Service at The Plaza or call 509-328-RIDE (7433) for assistance. A Customer Service Representative will need to research your card. It can take up to 3 days to verify the card is valid.

University and School-Issued Passes Issues:

My student ID card isn’t working.

Verify that you are using the most recently issued ID card. If this is a brand new ID card, it can take up to 48 hours for the card to be entered into the system, so please wait 48 hours after the card was issued to attempt using it again. If you continue to have issues with you ID, see your school or university’s program administrator. Contact info below.

I’m a high school student and I’m having problems with a pass that was issued to me by a school and/or program.

Please see your school or program lead for assistance. Click here to find where to go at your school.

Other Student ID issues:

Please see your school or university’s program administrator for assistance. A list of contacts for many schools is below. Be sure to note the error message displayed by the fairbox, the route and time the issue occurred. This may be needed for troubleshooting the issue.

Resources for School-Issued Passes

Eastern Washington University

Parking and Transportation Office
101 Tawanka Hall

Gonzaga University

Campus Card Services
Crosby Center, Lower Level
[email protected]

On Track Academy

Spokane Community College

Spokane Falls Community College

Washington State University Spokane

Student Affairs
Academic Center, Room 130
[email protected]

Whitworth University

Info Desk at the HUB
[email protected]

Other Organizations

City of Spokane

Employees having issues with your city issued bus pass, please see City of Spokane Human Resources.

Kendall Yards

Card holders having issues with your Kendal Yards issued bus pass, please visit the Kendal Yards Welcome Center at 1335 W. Summit Parkway, or call (509) 474-1316.

Spokane County

Employees having issues with your STA issued bus pass please visit Customer Service at STA Plaza. (509) 328-RIDE (7433)

Scroll to Top