The Transit Officer assists the Security Manager in providing security and safety functions to employees, customers, and assets described in Spokane Transit’s security program. Assists in conducting investigations, responds to criminal acts, disputes, or other matters involving the safety and security of STA’s customers, employees, and property. Duties require the ability to apply reason and exercise independent judgment in resolving problems and to assess and successfully respond to a variety of situations where only limited standards, codes, laws, and regulations exist. This position has extensive public contact, may work alone or in remote areas and have exposure to potentially hostile environment, noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, and gases. Works in an office environment, outdoor setting in all types of weather and temperature conditions. Travels to other locations for business purposes.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Knowledgeable of de-escalation techniques
Experienced in engaging and diffusing conflict
Able to interact with individuals and customers of all socioeconomic backgrounds
Adaptable to rapidly changing situations
Experienced with compiling detailed records and accounts of incidents
Proven history of success working in security, law enforcement, or community protection
COMPETITIVE SALARY AND GREAT BENEFITS!
Starting wage of $24.88/hr (Wage range $24.88 – $33.34/hour) $2.00/hour shift differential for evening shift
- Up to $3,000 in sign-on bonuses available
- PPO Medical Plans (Vision coverage included)
- Premera Blue Cross – Your Choice 250 Heritage Plus Plan
- Kaiser Permanente CDHP PPO Plan
- HMO Medical Plans (Vision coverage included)
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Core Plan
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Core Buy-Up Plan
- Delta Dental PPO Plan
- WA State Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS)
- PERS 2 or PERS 3
- Deferred Compensation/457 plan
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) employer contribution of $50/month
- Employer Paid Basic life ($50,000), AD&D ($50,000) and long-term disability insurance
- Pet Insurance
- AFLAC Supplemental Insurance
- Vacation Accrual Schedule (paid)
- 0-4 years of continuous service – 2 weeks per year
- 5-9 years of continuous service – 3 weeks per year
- 10-14 years of continuous service – 4 weeks per year
- 15+ years of continuous service – 5 weeks per year
- Sick Leave Full-time employees – 96 hours per year maximum
- .0462 hours earned per hour in paid status 8 hours per month maximum
- 7 Paid Holidays
- 4 Floating Holidays
- Free bus passes for employee and dependents
- Onsite workout facility
- KEPRO Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible schedule (9/80) available after completion of probationary period
- For more detailed information on benefits click here
Examples of Duties
Conduct thorough physical security assessments of transit facilities and properties; report inoperable equipment, physical security breaches, and all threats to assets, employees, and customers while on foot patrol or driving vehicles.
Use radio and cell phone to communicate security-related information to supervisor(s), agency control centers and/or police.
Accurately complete various reports including the Daily Field Activity Report, Security Incident Reports, Police Uniform Incident Reports, Monthly Reports, and Alarm Reports. Reports will be entered in the computer. Will also enter key information into security database.
Search transit facilities and vehicles for suspicious devices and/or people.
Answer customer requests for assistance.
Conduct active surveillance of various locations using camera systems capturing video evidence for use in criminal and civil proceedings.
Education and Experience
Experience in public safety, customer service, or related field. Coursework or degree in Criminal Justice, psychology, or related field preferred.
Possess a valid driver’s license from the state of residence. Ability to obtain and maintain status as a “Specially Commissioned Peace Officer” in both the City of Spokane and Spokane County (If the program is reinstated) is mandatory.
Interested in Applying?
Qualified individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. Cover letter and resume are required with your online application. If you have questions regarding this position or need assistance, please contact Andrew Tackett, HR Specialist, via email [email protected] This position is open until 11/21/2022.
Spokane Transit is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity/race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or veteran status.